[Qgis-developer] The case for bugfix releases

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Mon Sep 30 02:18:00 PDT 2013

Interesting discussion.
Packaging isn't something I know much of anything about, but from a Windows
perspective, if there are bugfix releases, might it be worth releasing them
as patches/service packs rather than complete new releases? In a corporate
environment where software installation is scripted an entirely new release
needs to be scripted which can be a lot of effort and potentially can wipe
out a users preferences. Patches/service packs are a lot easier for the
user.
No idea how feasible that is.

>> Jonathan
> > I think by not using some developer resources on bugfixes,
> Jürgen
> Um, we bugfix.  We just don't do do stable/bugfix releases and master is released
too infrequent.

Sorry, I meant "bugfix releases". I know you (and the others) bugfix and a
lot of my reported bugs are closed, reflecting that! :-)   - Despite
proofreading it a couple of times I still missed that.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On 30 September 2013 09:37, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Am 30.09.2013 10:30, schrieb Jürgen E. Fischer:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 30. Sep 2013 at 08:53:06 +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> >> Also, insisting in the production of binary makes the release process
> more
> >> complex than it could be. Binary packaging and source releases should be
> >> separate processes, IMHO.
> >
> > Any only else share the opinion that we should stop making packages and
> trust
> > that others will pick up?
>
> Probably not for the most popular platforms (Windows, OSX,
> Ubuntu/Debian). I hope that one day we will have enough donations to pay
> for the release and packaging work. Or maybe a commercial QGIS support
> company will have enough contract work that allows it to subsidize work
> and be responsible for the packaging of at least one of the major
> platforms. This way the packaging work could be better distributed.
>
> Andreas

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and
should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or
authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or
disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,
including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording
and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.