[Qgis-developer] Adding plugins to core?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Apr 5 23:36:12 PDT 2014

Il 05/04/2014 18:59, Alex Mandel ha scritto:
> Perhaps the proposal is really, which plugins to ship by default?
> Which sounds the same but is slightly different or could be interpreted
> differently as add the plugins to core.

right, thanks for clarifying.

> I'm +1 for adding a few more default plugins to the distribution,
> especially if they are very common in usage. Remember though, there is a
> trade-off, putting too many things in the default interface is
> overwhelming for some levels of users. It makes GIS more daunting than
> it needs to be.

Agreed, that's why I was calling for a common decision.
My suggestion is to disable by default those with a complex interface
(e.g. CAD Tools).
I suggest to do it for 2.4, at least for the three most popular:
http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/openlayers_plugin/
http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/tablemanager/
http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/mmqgis/
In my experience, these are effectively hidden features for many QGIS users.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu