[Qgis-developer] Python plugins mandatory metadata

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Mon Aug 25 08:46:27 PDT 2014

Hello,

> Hi all.
>
> Il 25/08/2014 17:06, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> > I agree they should remain optional for now.
>
> After a few months of managing the plugin approval queue, I still do not
> understand what is the advantage of having plugins without a repo and
> bugtracker. I agree that a home page is not a necessity.

+1
Moreover, plugins are GPL licenced, hence the source code should be shared
when a plugin is distributed. Python is a script language, but still there are
some source which should not go into the final plugin package (.ui files
typically).
Therefore, a plugin _must_ have a full source code available somewhere, and a
repository is a logical place for this.

Globally it is about improving the global quality of the software, and these
steps are the basics a plugin developer should provide.

Vincent