[Qgis-developer] Failing tests consider blockers

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Feb 19 01:53:41 PST 2014

Hi Radim,

On Wed, 19. Feb 2014 at 09:14:43 +0100, Radim Blazek wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> > What I wanted to say is that there are a bunch of tests that fail because
> > they are not up to date or fail for other reasons that are not related to
> > actual bugs in qgis itself. For example render tests, which fail because of
> > fonts or other differences (eg. removed renderers).  I think that are the
> > majority of tests that currently fail.

> Platform dependent tests (fonts) don't make sense for me and should be
> disabled until get fixed (e.g. using font set shipped with QGIS).  Renderer
> test should be updated and only real bugs will remain and those should be
> blockers, I think.

Well, there are platform dependant bugs and therefore there also could be
platform dependant tests.  But those would need to be clearly marked as such
and only run on the corresponding platform.

Do we need to discuss that failing tests - or any other bug - should be fixed?
I doubt that we do.

I'm just objecting to planing ahead too much - let's first fix the tests and
then decide further steps.

> > So the tests need work. But that's a known fact and it's not at all new.
> > Still not much has been done about it - except talk.

> I have fixed WCS, I'll disable those platform dependent and look at renderer
> test. I don't know much (never worked on) about others like
> PyQgsDelimitedTextProvider, geometrytest, openstreetmaptest, PyQgsAppStartup.

Sure, "nothing but talk" was a overstatement.  I'm just saying that we have
just a few tests and some of them are even flawed - and hence to me the current
outcome is too unreliable to let other decisions depend on it.

> > Another thing is that we don't have the concept of actual blockers anymore.
> > We release every four months what we have at that point.  Blockers are just
> > highest priority for bugs.

> Blockers do not block stable release?! I don't think anything like that was
> ever explicitly said nor there is a general consensus about that. I read your
> release plan again and I only found:

We just have releases.  The plan is to release what we have on release day.  Of
course that should be in the best possible shape, but whatever we do it will
have known und unknown bugs.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
QGIS PSC member (RM)      Germany                      IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden