[Qgis-developer] Requesting bug fix extension through weekend

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Thu Feb 20 13:34:50 PST 2014

Hi Jürgen,

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> On Thu, 20. Feb 2014 at 09:45:42 -0700, Larry Shaffer wrote:
> > I'm definitely in favor of a set release schedule. Though I've missed
> much of
> > the 2.1 development cycle, I feel an obligation to finish fixing some of
> the
> > more serious labeling bugs. Towards this goal, I'd like to work through
> > Sunday on those issues, if it is OK to do so.
>
> If we release last minute on Friday - and I should really have set a exact
> time
> and zone beforehand - at say Anchorage time, we still have about 1 day,
> 14hrs[1] to work on 2.1 before it is branch 2.2.

Seems appropriate to freeze at the end of Gary's time zone.  :-)

> Although that will be 10am on Saturday for me - so at least 10hrs of
> precious
> packaging time gone ;)
>
> But to quote Tim: "We're not going anywhere".  There will still be bugs in
> QGIS
> 2.3 to work on after the release.  And I trust that you're not going to
> stop
> bug fixing just because the fixes don't make it into 2.2.

I'll just do what I can today and tomorrow. I'll keep working on bugs (of
course :-). If someone takes up maintaining a 2.2.1 bug fix release branch,
I'll backport any of my post-2.2-release bug fix commits.

> Of course that's a bit odd and it's an relative arbitrarily set date (and
> time
> and zone) - but I'd still like to keep it.
>
> > With the new local unit test server classes, I feel pretty confident now
> that
> > any unit tests I make, to ensure the labeling bugs are fixed, should be
> valid
> > across all outputs. But, I have now run out of time.
>
> Good job.  Although we now need lighttp and spawn-cgi now, don't we?  I saw
> something in the cdash logs.  Probably something I need to add to osgeo4w.

Yes, please do add those to osgeo4w, if possible. QgsLocalServer can be
config'd to work with the osgeo4w Apache and some FCGI spawning utility (or
as an Apache-spawned FCGI), but I think Apache is a bit too much of a
resource hog just to run a local QGIS Server with single connection, e.g.
for unit tests or local previewing.

We discussed before adding lighttpd/spawn-fcgi to the QGIS src build, but
opted for external dependencies, which is what I built the new
QgsLocalServer around. If the local QGIS Server Preview plugin gets
finished [0, mockup], and is considered for core adoption, maybe an
internal build would be nice. The latest versions of lighttpd/spawn-cgi
have CMake build setups [1,2].

Also, I didn't have time, but want to add a FindLocalServer.cmake module,
which would define:

* LOCALSERVER_FOUND
* WEBSERVER_EXECUTABLE
* FCGISPAWN_EXECUTABLE

That module would be run if ENABLE_TESTS=ON and would look for pairs of
web/fcgi-spawn executables that are known to work well together. To pass
the found executable paths to the Python test modules, two
SET(ENV{QGIS_*_EXECUTABLE}) could be added in UsePythonTest.cmake, or the
paths can be written to a file, like is done with qgisbuildpath.txt. Then,
QgsLocalServer class could just be set up to look for either.

> If I could work from now through Sunday, it would be very productive
> towards
> > labeling fixes for this release. If not, I understand and will do what I
> can
> > today and tomorrow to wrap things up and commit what's working.  I will
> > endeavor to avoid such extension requests in the future.
>
> So we need to coordinate that I don't branch between two of your possibly
> dependant last minute commits?  The interruption by branching should be
> short.

Ok. I'll try not to commit at the last second. :-) Helpful countdown clock.
Thanks.

[0] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ymqp2l1prz63iim/15RN8shVF3
[1] http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/lighttpd/repository/show/trunk
[2] http://redmine.lighttpd.net/projects/spawn-fcgi/repository/show/trunk