[Qgis-developer] Regarding Development For QGis

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Jan 6 23:08:20 PST 2014

Hi Kshitij

Contributing is very easy - find something that doest work as you thing it
should and make a fix for it and submit a pull request via github. I
suggest to do small tweaks and improvements while you get familiar with the
code and while the community gets used to working with you. There are also
many open tickets in out bug queue at http://hub.qgis.org - it would be
great if you can find some to resolve for us.

Have fun and welcome to the QGIS community!

Regards

Tim

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Kshitij Kansal <kansal.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a Computer Science Undergrad Student in India, currently in my third
> year of study. I am good at C, C++, python, Web2py. I am doing research in
> "Time Series Analysis of Spatial Data". My work is mostly centered around
> satellite imagery.
>
> I have been using Qgis for quite sometime now and feel that now I can
> contribute towards its development. I tried to install Qgis from source
> code by cloning it from the Qgis repository in Fedora 18 but faced a lot of
> dependency issues. So I switched to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and tried the same
> thing, but there was some error in the latest code. So I installed it from
> the release prior to the latest one and was successful in doing that. After
> I reported the bug in this mailing list only, it was rectified. So my
> status at present is that I have Qgis installed from source code on my
> machine.
>
> Is there someway I can contribute in this community? If yes, do let me
> know how can I start given that I have good background in C/C++ and Python
> programming.
>
> Thanking You,
>
> Kshitij Kansal
>
> Lab For Spatial Informatics,
>
> IIIT Hyderabad

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net