[Qgis-developer] On the fly simplication of point layers

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Jan 20 13:57:45 PST 2014

Hi

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:47 PM, A Huarte <ahuarte47 at yahoo.es> wrote:

> done:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/1093
>
> This patch hides the simplification rendering tab for point layers, now
> it is not supported (internally I am not trying to simplify point layers)
> . Thanks Tim!
>
> About if there is a use case for point simplification, I know one, (gvSIG
>  + dielmo open lidar) use it for load extreme big point layers as LiDAR LAS
> files are.
>
> It know the code in java and I think easy migrate to QGIS. Basically, It
> ignore points by distance in a similar style as the current simplifier
> classes.

Sorry I see my original email was not very clear - I meant if there was a
use case for point simplification as *currently implemented in master* - I
fully agree that filtering proximal points would be a good performance
booster, as would providing a point clustering capability.

> If you think good for QGIS I think but I can imlement it

That would be great! Thanks for your pull request.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net