[Qgis-developer] [QGIS-UX] option to disable font vectorization in labels

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 05:03:22 PST 2014

On 22. 01. 14 11:27, Vincent Picavet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le mardi 21 janvier 2014 21:45:16, Nyall Dawson a écrit :
>> On 22/01/2014 4:56 am, "Anita Graser" <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
>>> Am 21.01.2014, 10:24 Uhr, schrieb Vincent Mora <vincent.mora at oslandia.com

>> case you don't see the result until you open the svg
>>> Thanks for addressing this issue!
>>> For me, the most obvious place to put this option would be in the print
>> composer. Maybe close to the "print as raster" option?
>>
>> I'm not a huge fan of this option, given that I'd like to keep the composer
>> window as clear of clutter as possible. I think output format specific
>> options like these (and saving svg to layers) should be put into a separate
>> dialog which appears after the save file dialog. Much like how
>> gimp/Photoshop/illustrator etc show a jpg quality dialog after choosing to
>> save a file as jpg. The settings could either be remembered globally or per
>> output filename.
> -1 for another dialog window. It makes the user have to set another step to
> export before having a result. If you want to export the same composition work
> multiple times with different file names you would have to set this every time.
> If you want QGIS to remember the settings, the user should have set it
> somewhere specifically. UX simplification is good, magic things happening behind
> the scene are not.
> Generally im am more in favor of a "configure first, then execute" way of
> working than the opposite.
> An intermediate solution could be to have an extended "save as" dialog box,
> with some options on the side.
+1 for having a cleaner UI.
I think it does make sense to separate specific settings in specific
dialogs. And, QGIS can remember the settings from one time to another
(or am I missing something here?), no need to add a definition somewhere.

Then, I don't mind to have either a specific dialog for SVG export or
the dialog to be shown after save as.
I think people are used to configuration dialogs being shown after
choosing a format.

>> My ultimate goal (I was going to run this by the ux list) is to move
>> infrequently used settings like resolution, page size/orientation, print as
>> raster, etc and the atlas settings to their own "composition properties"
>> dialog and then remove the need for the composition and atlas panels. Any
>> thoughts on this?
> Same, more dialog boxes is a -1 for me, panels are quick and convenient, and
> give a fast overview of things.
> An option to hide or reduce them on the side would be preferable imho.
Again, I would also vote in favor of a specific dialog.
It's the same on the mainwindow, we don't have a single dock with all
the settings at once.
I think it's more confusing (and finally less efficient) to have all the
settings mixed on the composer dock.

Cheers,

Denis