[Qgis-developer] Lidar data into QGIS

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 00:22:37 PST 2014

Hi,

2014/1/31 A Huarte <ahuarte47 at yahoo.es>:
> Although I know you're going to try it in Vienna, I would like to recover
> the idea of creating a new type of layer (eg QgsPointCloudLayer) that

I usually also tend towards just doing - but this time, with LIDAR
it's probably a good advice to think and discuss first
It's really a tricky thing. See e.g. Paul Ramsey's Talk at FOSS4G
2013, Birmingham:
http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/xmlui/bitstream/handle/url/186/pgpointcloud-foss4-2013.pdf

2014/1/29 Howard Butler wrote:
> I think the first question to answer for a QGIS point cloud capability is to define
> what it will do. Is it a renderer/viewer? Product processing pipeline? Everything?
> I think it is important to keep the scope limited for the first few attempts to
> feel out the problem.

Exactly.

--Stefan

P.S. BTW there is another "battle field" over at the format definition
side which currently needs some attention:
"LIDAR Format Wars..." http://boundlessgeo.com/2014/01/lidar-format-wars-2/