[Qgis-developer] Legend refactoring branch merged

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Jun 2 17:14:52 PDT 2014

Hi

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Hugo
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Hugo Mercier <hugo.mercier at oslandia.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > Le 21/05/2014 19:11, Martin Dobias a écrit :
> >> Hi everyone
> >>
> >> I have just merged the first part of the legend refactoring work to
> >> master [1]. It does not really bring any new features for the end
> >> user, the changes are mainly under the hood. Things should ideally
> >> work as before, if not then probably it is a bug.
> >>

> > Thanks for all the great work.
> >
> > When adding a new layer, the behaviour used to be that the new layer was
> > placed on top of the active layer. It is not the case anymore if I am
> > correct.
>
> Works for me exactly as expected - new layer is placed on top of the
> active layer.
>

> > When passing a list of layers in a certain order to
> > QgsMapCanvas::setLayerSet(), the obtained order seems random (from
> > Python). Is it wanted ? (not sure if it was already the case before your
> > changes)
>
> I am not sure if I understand what you mean.... order obtained from
> where? from map canvas?

Ah on this topic I dont know if we mentioned it in Vienna when you were
gathering requirements, but one thing I *often* get asked by users is why
when adding new layers (multiple at once) QGIS does not add them in
'natural z-order' with polygons below then lines in the middle, then points
above. Is this something you could do? I believe sorting should only apply
to the added layers (so adding the sorted layer above the current layer
rather than above the last layer of their geometry type). Though no doubt
somebody will think just the opposite....:-)

Regards

Tim

> > Is there a way to modify the order of layers in the legend (and in the
> > rendering) via the Python API ?
>
> Not yet, I am about to add python bindings very soon (tomorrow probably).
>
> Regards
> Martin

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net