[Qgis-developer] Opinion on plugin named prepair (and possible likes)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Jun 6 11:33:06 PDT 2014

Hi Ken,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Ken Arroyo Ohori <
G.A.K.ArroyoOhori at tudelft.nl> wrote:

> Dear Larry,
>
> The prepair Mac binary was made by linking to static versions of CGAL,
> boost, GMP, GMPXX, MPFI and MPFR, and only linking dynamically to
> Kyngchaos’ GDAL framework. The idea was that if people use Kyngchaos’ QGIS
> package, they already have his GDAL framework since it is a requirement.
>
> For Homebrew, I think the solution in your formula is the right way to go.
> Linking statically to the other libraries wouldn’t make sense.

The mostly statically built binary would help for Mac bundling based off of
OSGeo4Mac within QGIS, where (currently) there is no dependency upon Boost,
CGAL, etc. The Kyngchaos.com setup for stable is the standard, but the QGIS
Mac nightlies will probably also soon offer ones built strictly off of
OSGeo4Mac. I that case, it would be ideal to offer a Homebrew 'bottle' of
prepair (~3.5 MB) that would only require the gdal formula. Then, users
would not even have to download/install the Boost bottle (~77 MB), let
alone compile it.

Will look at how to do this, when it comes to that type of bundling.

Thanks,

Larry