[Qgis-developer] QGIS Crash - Serious problem in 2x

Jorge Tornero - Listas jtorlistas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 01:07:53 PDT 2014

Hi, Ted, Matthias and all,

If you enable CRS transform on-the-fly, meter/feet/NM scales can be
shown in WGS84 projects.

About what Matthias said in

> Concerning the scale-bar issue. I think, that one should always be
> allowed to show a scale-bar, but that the units need to match with the
> one in the projection, so in the case of WGS84, the units should be degrees.

In my opinion, despite this is completely true from a formal point of
view, sometimes you need scales in 'real world' units just to make
possible for people to understand your maps. For the most of the people
I know that see my little work it makes no sense a scale in degrees (in
fact, they could have it in the grid labels) but a scale in nautical
miles (or whatever) makes sense inmediatly for them, even if it is not
accurate. So, providing that the person who is making the map should
know what he/she is doing, it is nice for the user to have the
possibility to show the scale in whatever units he wants. Maybe it could
be corrected just using a projection (I guess that's the proper way),
but sometimes it leads to "weird" (in the sense of people is used to see
*their geography* in a determinate way) maps which somehow annoy people.

All the best,

Jorge Tornero