[Qgis-developer] Virtual Fields - Allow adding fields out of edit mode

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Tue Oct 7 05:40:22 PDT 2014

Hi Bernhard,

On 07.10.2014 14:28, Bernhard Ströbl wrote:

>>> tested with e5850f3
>>>
>>> to your question: I think the current editing-mode behavior is
>>> intuitive. What is not intuitive is that the expression editor can
>>> only be launched when adding a virtual field. I am aware that I can
>>> add a (permanent) field with the field calculator but this whole
>>> business is IMHO not consistent.
>>> This would be consistent:
>>> 1) in field calculator if choosing to add a new field offer to make it
>>> virtual or permanent (permanent being default)
>>
>> It could go there indeed, good idea.
>
> will the field calcuator be active all the time then?
> just thinking of consequences....

Yes

>>> 2) make add-field dialog be the same no matter if adding a permanent
>>> or virtual field.
>>
>> I don't completely follow. Do you propose to remove the "virtual field"
>> from the "add field" in favor of 1) or is the intention something else?
>
> no, proposals 1) and 2) are independent from each other.
> proposal 2) means, that the expression builder should be offered when
> adding a permanent field, too, thus not changing the dialog when user
> changes his choice of permanent/virtual.
> Scenario is: user wants to add a permanent field and fill it with an
> expression. Now it is either
> 1) add field and accept
> 2) open calculator, choose field
> 3) define expression and accept
> or:
> 1) set editable
> 2) open calculator
> 3) define expression and accept
>
> future behaviour would be:
> 1) add field
> 2) define expression and accept

I think if the user wants to add a permanent field with the help of an
expression the current solution with the field calculator is fine. I
don't see any benefit that the "add field" dialog would have over that.
On the other hand defining the virtual fields in the field calculator
(and removing them from "add field") could make things more coherent.

Any opinions about this?

Matthias