[Qgis-developer] Please stop spamming commit logs!

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 00:50:42 PDT 2014

On 10 October 2014 18:11, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that somebody started to add commercials to commit logs:
>
> Sponsored by ....
>
> Funded by ...
>
> etc. etc.
>
> We should take this seriously, mostly ever developer works for a
> company or run its own business.
>
> Imagine if everybody starts adding those (not really useful) sentences
> to every commit.

Is this really an issue? It seems rather trivial. I personally am
strongly in favour of these attributions in the commit log. Reasons
are:

- It gives credit to sponsors. That's important! Look at how many cool
features were added in 2.6 thanks to sponsorship...
- It gives credit to developers who donate their free/company time.
That's also important. QGIS wouldn't exist if it wasn't for these
developers donating their time
- The commit log is basically for developers or power
users/contributors only. It's a fairly harmless place to advertise
these sponsorship messages. For a while there was a few "sponsored by"
messages in code comments - that's a much worse/more intrusive place
for these messages.
- It lets us blow off steam when release pressures ramp up :P see
68c49fe09, 34f00d106 and 2427546d8

So, +1 for allowing these messages.

Nyall