[Qgis-developer] Trouble with PostGis plugin

walter.nordmann walter.nordmann at web.de
Fri Oct 10 03:56:05 PDT 2014

Chris Crook wrote
> Hi Walter
>
> When you connect to the PostGis database make sure that you have selected
> the "Use estimated metadata" option - this optimises the connection for
> large datasets - see attached screenshot.  This should greatly improve the
> connection times for postigs.  (If you are already doing this then may
> need to look further!)

"Use estimated metadata" is true and i see (in wireshark!) qgis is only
fetching 100 samples to get the geometry. But even that needs a very long
time.

I think, Postgis is doing a sequential search but i'm no shure about that.
But why does Qgis check the geometry? it is allready known and should not be
necessary.

This part of Qgis is for me like a Black Box: select your data and wait. No
loggin, no infos, nothing. Just wait.

That is very frustrating in the developement-phase of a map. Killed the
Qgis-Process dozend times a day, loaded my last save and started again. :(

Regards
walter