[Qgis-developer] Print composers: should locked elements be selectable?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:14:43 PDT 2014

Hi Andreas,

On 16/10/2014 1:00 am, "Andreas Neumann" <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> In QGIS 2.4 locked elements where still selectable in the canvas, in 2.6
they are not, but one can still select them in the element list.

This is intentional and something I've been coding towards for a long time
(it was actually my first ever frustrating behavior i ran into with QGIS'
composer back when I started using QGIS!).

Here's the rationale:
- it brings QGIS into line with the standard behavior of illustrating/DTP
software. This is a big plus in itself...

- it makes it possible to interact with items which are stacked below other
items. Otherwise, its impossible to click and drag an item which has
something above it. Making locked items non-interactive in the canvas means
that you can lock the upper item, freely move/resize the lower, and then
unlock the upper item again.
- the items panel makes it easy to select locked items and also quickly
unlock them.

Unless a bunch of angry users turn up at my house with pitchforks and
flaming torches this change is here to stay! ;)

Nyall

> To me, the locking mechanism mainly prevents unwanted movement of
elements and I personally would prefer that locked elements are still
selectable in the canvas. It would be different if we had the concept of
layers. Elements in locked layers should not be selectable, I think - but
since we do not have layers yet, I am not sure ...