[Qgis-developer] Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sat Jul 25 05:55:53 PDT 2015

Hi Tom,

On 07/25/2015 02:17 PM, Tom Kralidis wrote:
> Hi: thanks for the info.  I believe this has been discussed in the
> past w.r.t. dependency management of Python plugins in QGIS, but there
> is no definitive approach yet.  For OWSLib we currently have this
> tracked via http://hub.qgis.org/issues/13058.
>
> The OSGeo4W OWSLib is not maintained / up to date AFAIK.
>
> Currently in master we can OWSLib and it's dependencies in
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/tree/master/python/ext-libs, which is not
> ideal IMHO.
>
> Not sure how to proceed here.  The best thing would be to remove all
> OWSLib dependencies from the codebase and install during time of
> building QGIS (pip/easy_install?), no matter what the platform, but
> I'm not aware of the entire picture/build/package/release story.
>
> Any suggestions on how best to handle this would be appreciated.

Is it required as a buildtime dependency?

Assuming it is a runtime dependency

 * We can make sure it's installed by default with OSGeo4W
 * Add it as dependency to the proper linux package
 * You can check when you import it in your plugin
   and offer the user an information if he's missing
   a dependency but that should only happen in rare cases.

Currently there is no mechanism to auto-install packages from QGIS
(easy_install / pip) and having a proper solution that works
cross-platform will be a bigger undertaking.
And I don't think installing it build time will help because the build
machine is not necessarily the one which will later run the app.

What do you think?

.. Matthias