[Qgis-developer] Conflits between owsLib packages in OSGeo4w and QGIS

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sat Jul 25 07:15:35 PDT 2015

Hi Matthias,

On Sat, 25. Jul 2015 at 14:55:53 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how best to handle this would be appreciated.

> Is it required as a buildtime dependency?

No.  It's only required for metasearch - like all the other stuff in ext-libs -
except pyspatialite.

> Assuming it is a runtime dependency

>  * We can make sure it's installed by default with OSGeo4W

No, it's too old in osgeo4w.

>  * Add it as dependency to the proper linux package

It not available or not uptodate enough on all distributions.  That why we have
it in qgis.  That's also why osgeo4w is not uptodate - only qgis would require
it in osgeo4w.  And maintaining it in both would just duplicate the work.

>  * You can check when you import it in your plugin and offer the user an
>    information if he's missing a dependency but that should only happen in rare
>    cases.

Well as metasearch is a core plugin, qgis should ship  everything required (or
depend on stuff that is available everywhere).  That's why all the stuff was
added...

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode