[Qgis-developer] Project quality discussion

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:05:07 PST 2015

> Yes, that would be ideal.
>
> But do we have enough money for that ?
> And is it a full time job ?
>
> Or to put it another way: what is the budget we can assign for this task ?

The only concern I have with QGIS.ORG hiring a full/part-time dev is that
could be hard to find a single developer that can review all parts of the
code.

I'd prefer if QGIS.ORG does the coordination part with internally financed
resources and delegates/outsource the code review to a pool of core-devs.

> On 09/11/2015 23:59, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> > The main problem I see in having a formal pay to review/merge model, no
> > matter the scale, is that it is a pay to win model no matter how to
> > goes.  If you have the money you can pay someone to push it though
> > quicker which doesn't give others the same ability if they don't have
> > the cash.

It depends on the individual PR, if it's the amazing cool new feature that
everybody was waiting for, I suspect that some volunteers code reviewer
will show up anyway.

> > Personally the only way I can see this model working is if we have a
> > full time dev for the project that can review most PRs, or the QGIS.ORG
> > <http://QGIS.ORG> board can allocate funds to a core dev to review a set
> > of PRs. This way the project is in control and not "Hey X, I have a
> > stack of cash here. Be a buddy and merge my stuff for me will ya"

What we need to avoid is that somebody pays for a feature and that it's
included no matter how it is. But the quarantine for the core-devs and the
QEP+code review for all others should work in that case.

The advantages in having the PR queue managed by QGIS.ORG is that it's more
neutral if compared with just hiring a core-dev to bypass the whole process.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it