[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-community-team] Moving the install instructions to a more sexy, visible, coherent and translatable page in qgis.org

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 14:00:47 PDT 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. You both are pointing what I was afraid of and
mentionned at the end of my message: how to keep up to date the install
instructions?
And to be honest I'd prefer an up to date instruction in english only
(though not easy to use) to a translated but deprecated one. My intention
wasn't to move the INSTALL instruction itself from the QGIS repo. I agree
that we should keep an INSTALL doc near every QGIS release.
My concern is should we and how do we get back its contents into website
(or maybe, documentation?) repo. I don't know about magic tools that can be
used so can't be of any help. Sorry!

The INSTALL doc is imho one other and big advocate of QGIS being an
inclusive project, cross-platform, accessible to _any_ newcomer  and that
developers care about that.  For such reasons, I think it deserves more
exposure. The current generated preview is somehow hidden (though you can
find links to it in the website), isolated from QGIS doc and not that funny
to read. These last months a lot of work has been done on documenting how
people can get involved in the project, from writer, bug reporter,
translator to developer, newbie or not (which repo for which issue, how to
use git, qt, rst, code and doc writing rules...) . And I feel that "how to
compile QGIS" is a missing gap.

About potential users, I think a documented feature has more chance/is
easier to be used than not documented. For having tried unsuccessfully to
build QGIS on Windows 8 about a year ago, I wasn't able to decide if it was
because I didn't well understand the steps or if it was because I hadn't
the same version of applications used in the instructions. So, shame on me,
I gave up!
In a more exposed situation, we can expect feedback of community (and not
only Juergen and few people- thanks to you) about potential changes/updates
on third-party tools used, comments on the quality of the description
(e.g., while converting the text into rst, I found that there are some
broken links under 4.3.2.2, 4.3.2.3, 4.3.2.7 - just other dependencies
btw)...
I may be too much optimistic but I think if there's a somehow easy and
long-term clean way to have these instructions available near our other
official documents and accessible to our wider community, let's do it.
Otherwise, let's update the INSTALL doc to remove mention of availability
in our website/documentation, in any translated language (at that time I
spent time lookig for the translated version).

Sorry for a so long post

Regards,
Harrissou