[Qgis-developer] Decoupling core/data and GUI part of widgets in 3.0

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Aug 30 23:29:05 PDT 2016

Hi all, Hi Nyall, Matthias and Denis,

After some discussion with Nyall we stumbled again over the
inconvenience that widgets in QGIS mix data (core) and GUI part. This
effects many places in QGIS where you want to address the display value
of a widget instead of the raw value: QGIS Server (e.g. GetFeatureInfo
Requests), Print Composer, Labels, Save to Spreadsheet with human
readable values, and many more.

So before people are introducing more and more widgets (which is nice) I
would suggest to first improve our widget infrastructure for QGIS 3.0 to
decouple the Core/data part from the GUI part, which would allow code to
access all widget configuration and properties without having to deal
with the GUI part of the widget. Nyall mentioned that the symbology
rendering separates this nicely, but the attribute widgets do not.

Nyall suggested to do a QEP for that to discuss the implications and how
this can be cleanly designed.

Matthias - since you are "the widget guy" - do you want to take a lead
on this QEP? Or should I ask Nyall?

Thanks,

Andreas