[Qgis-developer] Decoupling core/data and GUI part of widgets in 3.0

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Aug 30 23:56:06 PDT 2016

Hi,

I've already got some ideas because it affects QField (where I'm about
to drop the whole gui lib) as well.

Implementing this in QGIS instead of QField is much preferred.

>From a technical perspective, I would propose to use a tree-like
structure based on QVariants.
They've got all it takes for this:

QVariantMap can handle tree structures of key value pairs (for XML child
nodes), a key "__attributes__" can be added to save the XML element
attributes into.

This way, the information can be read without knowledge about a
particular widget's implementation details and is available directly
from core. The widgets (or whatever part) can add the semantics on top
in their own library.

So that's the inoffical QEP, I'd say we skip the official part.

Matthias