[Qgis-developer] Plugin requirements

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 00:49:22 PST 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Xavier Barnada <xbarnada at gisce.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I been working on a plugin that uses another python requirements like lxml.
>
> The problem it's that I solved the requirements problem on Linux calling
> pip command but this don't work on QGIS with Windows because Windows don't
> incorporate python or pip.
>
> In my opinion QGIS API should provide a way to install packages but i
> supose that it's not so easy as I imagine.
>
> How do you use to solve this problem?  There is any example of it?  I
> searched it on the documentation and don't appear any reference about how
> to do it.
>
> Best reggards
> Xavier Barnada

Hi Xavier!

We've considered adding a mechanism for plugin dependencies, (I've recently
added a metadata for that purpose) but this seems a bit difficult to work
cross-platform, BTW I'd be very happy to see some efforts in that area.

What we normally do is to package and ship dependencies with the plugin
itself, you can have a look to this example:
https://github.com/boundlessgeo/qgis-geoserver-plugin/blob/master/pavement.py#L48

Cheers.

--
Alessandro Pasotti