[Qgis-developer] A common set of functions for QGIS plugins

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 02:29:53 PST 2016

On 19 Feb 2016 19:35, "Etienne Trimaille" <etienne.trimaille at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm discovering that 'old' topic.
> Yes, I really like the idea, but I wasn't aware about that.
> I think the UI should be more uniform between plugins and QGIS, for
instance to have :
> - the same combobox about layers (using the symbol for the geometry type
and the EPSG if the checkbox is checked in the Processing settings)
> - the same combobox for table fields (symbol with the kind of field :
integer, char ...)
> - the same output field with the menu (save to temp file, save to vector
file, save to ...) like in processing.

Just a little advice - we need to push people toward the standard widgets
for these, eg QgsFieldComboBox, QgsMapLayerComboBox. Reimplementing then
with new Python versions isn't a good idea, since it breaks consistency
with core (and is also a lot of extra work!)

Nyall

> - ...
> So I will try to use that and contribute to these wrappers if I can.
>
> By the way, is it possible to recommend on the pyqgis cookbook (or the
qgis documentation) to use the processing framework more often ? A lot of
plugins are useful but we can't use them in batch mode or in complex
workflow. Moreover, they often produce only shapefile.
> There are some very nice settings in Processing like "use selected
features", default output format for vector and raster ... I think plugins
should try to more compliant with these settings.