[Qgis-developer] MS SQLServer support to DB manager

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 02:27:15 PDT 2016

On 26 Jul 2016 7:25 PM, "Nyall Dawson" <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2016 7:09 PM, "PIERRE Sylvain" <sylvain.pierre at bas-rhin.fr>
wrote:

> > Hi devs,
> >

> > Is there any plan to add MS SQLServer support to DB manager?
>
> I haven't seen anyone publicly working on this, but it sure would be nice!
>

> > I notice Oracle support was added in 2.14…
> >
> > I don’t have any idea of kind of work such improvement represent…
> >
> > Should it be funded?
>
> Funding is just one way to ensure it's implemented in a way that suits
your needs and meets your desired timeline. Otherwise options are:

> 1. Wait for someone else to write/fund this. (Can take a long time for a
feature like this, or it could be tomorrow... There's no way of predicting!)
> 2. Implement it yourself. If you're comfortable working with python this
should be relatively straightforward. It's a matter of copying what was
done for the Oracle databases and adapting for mssql.

I should have added: if you go with this option there's plenty of QGIS
developers who are happy to "mentor" and give advice if you get stuck.

Nyall

> 3. Proactively seek backers/crowd source the funding yourself - if you're
good at networking and social media this is a great option!