[Qgis-developer] QGIS Layer Search Plugin

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 06:27:33 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I think it is not really profitable to have multiple plugins. In my
opinion, efforts must be made to merge plugins when possible. In this case,
we have

* Quick Finder : Full Text Search is used here, which allows fuzzy search,
and is very efficient compared to scanning all features for a match. A
drawback, you must fill in the "FTS vectors" for each layer you want to be
able to search within. I think it is not so bad because the process is
fast. I also think there is nothing preventing to add more than one field
in the search ( it is possible with FTS in PostgreSQL, must also be the
case with sqlite)

* Layer search : Great to have a quick way to search among all the fields
of all loaded layers, with no configuration. Drawback : I think this can be
very slow for big datasets, and it is not "fuzzy", as regexp are used while
iterating on each feature. Another drawback : for external vector sources
like PostgreSQL, all features must been fetched !

IMHO, the way to go could be

* Add the FTS pregenerator of Quick Finder in Processing, as an alg
available for anyone to use
* Add the FTS search of Quick Finder as a Processing Alg
* Add the "layer search" worker as an Alg in Processing
* Have a combined plugin which let the user choose the search type : FTS
with pregeneration, or direct search with features iteration. This will
then run the corresponding alg

Cheers,
Michaël