[Qgis-developer] Report 5 - QGIS Symbology Sharing Tools

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 02:09:09 PDT 2016

> Hi,
> I tend to think that git / github workflow could be too high technician
> for most users that have not developer's culture. This is how I see it for
> processing script sharing today.. but processing is mostly concerning devs
> when styling is a lot wider.
> Why not combine both? Gist or equivalent for static files and git for the
> main repo where or and collaborative work is required?
> Cheers Regis

The designed architecture of the resource sharing system is protocol
independent: handlers for different repository protocols can be easily
added.

The idea is to have at least:
- filesystem (symbol repository is on filesystem, for example a network
share), this is the simplest case: a copy command is all we need to fetch
resources and update them
- git

So, git is just one of the possible handlers for remote repositories and
the idea is that the average user will never know that git is used under
the hood, it should be completely transparent.

If the general design will be respected during the implementation, it will
be really easy to expand the system to handle different remotes and
different shared resources.

The idea comes from the flexibility of python pip: it can fetch and install
resources (python packages in this case) from many different URIs, git
included.

Cheers

--
Alessandro Pasotti