[Qgis-developer] Plugin licence

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed May 25 05:50:41 PDT 2016

Le mercredi 25 mai 2016 13:26:02, Vincent Picavet (ml) a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 25/05/2016 12:39, Even Rouault wrote:
> [..]
>
> > <my ow opinion, not pretending this is the project one>
> >
> > Technically you could licence the plugin with any license you want, but
> > as soon you execute it against QGIS, it must be compatible of GPL v2+,
> > since it is a derived work of QGIS GPLv2 code, and thus it must convey
> > the same rights and obligations offered and constrained by the GPLv2
> > license.
> > So you could also licence it under X/MIT, BSD 2/3 clauses or which ever
> > other free licences that are compatible with GPLv2+.
> > It cannot be under a proprietary license, because GPLv2 would impose to
> > have access to the source code.
> >
> > The only cases where it makes sense in practice to have a plugin under a
> > permissive license are :
> > - imagine that someone would reimplement a QGIS alternative that would
> > have the same API as QGIS but would be more permissively licensed, then
> > it could make sense to have your plugin under that permissive license.
> > - a more reasonable use case would be a plugin that would be compatible
> > of QGIS and another proprietary GIS through some abstraction layer of
> > their different APIs. The core of your plugin could then be permissively
> > licensed to be compatible of both licensing models.
> >
> > </my ow opinion, not pretending this is the project one>
>
> I do agree with this analysis.
>
> Note that as for the Nvidia case mentionned, the Linux kernel has an
> exception to GPL for proprietary modules. Not sure it plays a role on
> the issue you mentionned, but it may be a strong difference with other
> software which do not have this exception.

Are you really sure of that ? If that was the case there would not be all
those debates regarding whether proprietary kernel modules are allowed or not.

My understanding of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel#Loadable_kernel_modules is that all
the subtelty resides in whether a module is a derived work of another one.
There's no special explicit exception. The folks that put proprietary modules
say they are not derived works from the kernel, hence not bound to GPL.

http://www.spatialys.com