[Qgis-developer] Plugin licence

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed May 25 05:49:49 PDT 2016

Hi,

On 25/05/2016 12:39, Even Rouault wrote:
[...]
> The only cases where it makes sense in practice to have a plugin under a
> permissive license are :
[...]
> - a more reasonable use case would be a plugin that would be compatible of
> QGIS and another proprietary GIS through some abstraction layer of their
> different APIs. The core of your plugin could then be permissively licensed to
> be compatible of both licensing models.

Another thing to keep in mind is that PyQt is also GPLv2.
Therefore if you want to make any call to PyQt, you would also have to
do the same work of having an abstraction layer on top of it, which
would be a pain.
This use case therefore makes less sense when you base your work on
PyQt. Or you have to buy a commercial licence from Riverbank for PyQt.

Using PySide to ease licence issues in this case may be something we
would have to think about, now that there will be support for it again.

Vincent