[Qgis-developer] Sandboxing python

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 02:19:58 PDT 2016

For context from here: https://lwn.net/Articles/574215/

"I now agree that putting a sandbox in CPython is the wrong design. There
are too many ways to escape the untrusted namespace using the various
introspection features of the Python language. To guarantee the [safety] of
a security product, the code should be [carefully] audited and the code to
review must be as small as possible. Using pysandbox, the "code" is the
whole Python core which is a really huge code base. For example, the Python
and Objects directories of Python 3.4 contain more than 126,000 lines of C
code.

The security of pysandbox is the security of its weakest part. A single bug
is enough to escape the whole sandbox."