[Qgis-developer] Newbie question re: Qt, PyQt on MAC Yosemite, Sierra

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Oct 18 11:17:48 PDT 2016

Ah, the Designer part is now a problem.

You could try using Pacifist to manually extract the needed parts from the Qt installer, 4.8 still uses Apple's installer packaging (Qt5 started using their own packaging mechanism, bleh), and either skip the /usr/* stuff or put it somewhere else.  I don't know if Designer uses them, all I see is direct links to the Qt frameworks, but it might also need the executables, which would be a problem.

Another thing that might be a problem, regardless on how/if you install Qt, is if Designer loads or needs any Qt plugins - QGIS (Mac) currently ignores its qt.conf and tries to load the /Developer plugins and crashes, so you'd have to do work in Designer, quit, rename the plugins folder so QGIS doesn't see it, run QGIS to test your plugin, quit, rename plugins back, ...

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 12:53 PM, Chris Nicholas <cnicholas at housecanary.com> wrote:
>
> yeah;  lots of interesting sandboxing got introduced in El Cap; etc. Have yet to upgrade to Sierra, but I hear it’s reasonably painless… at least from a user’s perspective.
>
> I want to do a plugin, and I need to do GUI design and layout and assign event signals and slots, etc, and couldn’t find Qt designer… that’s when I tried to install that .dmg and got the message I sent...
>
> but… now that I look more closely, I see you have indeed built the tools needed for at least compiling a design (pyrcc4	and pyuic4), that I didn’t have on my PATH, in:
> /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/bin  (and of course, a WHOLE lot of other very interesting items there…)
>
> :-)
>
> again, thanks for all your work.
>
> Chris
>

>> On Oct 18, 2016, at 10:38 AM, William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting.  I suspect it has something to do with installing a few items in /usr/* (instead of /usr/local/*).  With SIP in El Capitan it may fail to install those bits (or they will install but will be blocked from running), which include all the executables that are needed during compilation of QGIS.  Worst case is that installing those bits will block your system from booting (not fatal or "damaging", but you'd have to boot in safe mode to delete them).
>>
>> If you really want to compile your own, you could try Homebrew.
>>
>> Is there something missing from my QGIS package that your plugin needs?  (No, I haven't "done" Qt, I just bundle their Qt binaries in QGIS)
>>
>>> On Oct 18, 2016, at 11:59 AM, Chris Nicholas <cnicholas at housecanary.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> first and foremost. THANK YOU for all those years of building QGIS and supporting libs on MAC…
>>> :-]
>>>
>>> hit this, and just went with my VirtualBox/Ubuntu 16 and things are working great there…
>>> didn’t realize you had done the whole Qt Designer, etc frameworks.. bravo!
>>>
>>> attached is the msg I got trying to install the 4.8 dmg from http://download.qt.io/archive/ , and just said “blah…"
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 9.55.48 AM.png>

>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."
>>
>> - the wisdom of Tarzan

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy