[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2.16.1-2 Crashing on Loading GeoTIFFs

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Sep 2 12:30:51 PDT 2016

Jürgen,

I can reproduce the crash on a fresh new OSGeo4W 32 bit install just GDAL
2.1.1-1. After a few trial&errors by trying previous versions of gdal, libtiff
and libgeotiff, I've determined that it is the recent update of libgeotiff
1.4.2-1 that seems to be the cause of the crashes. When manually reverting to
libgeotiff-1.3.0-3 dll, I no longer get the crash on the sample .tif (although
just substituting the libgeotiff dll is not recommended, as there might be some
subtle ABI differences in 1.3.0 vs 1.4.2 that might cause later issues)

Interestingly, when installing gdal-dev (2.2.0dev) and sourcing it, I don't
get the crash, even with libgeotiff 1.4.2-1

I also tried a fresh new OSGeo4W 64 bit install but it fails when downloading
ogdi.

I'm not sure what is wrong exactly with gdal 2.1.1/libgeotiff 1.4.2 since when
installing gisinternals binaries (
http://download.gisinternals.com/sdk/downloads/release-1600-gdal-2-1-
mapserver-7-0.zip ), gdalinfo works on the provided GeoTIFF. One difference is
that gisinternal binaries are compiled with the internal version of libgeotiff
in GDAL, but the sources of that one are sync'ed from latest state of
libgeotiff SVN, so ~ 1.4.2. One subtelty between internal and external
libgeotiff regarding GDAL is how some CPL services (the ones parsing CSV files
mostly) are hooked.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com