[Qgis-developer] Plans for Processing algorithms documentation
delazj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 09:23:47 PDT 2017
(me looking again for plans...)
Currently, if you are looking for help for a Processing Tool, most of of
the tools will only display their description in QGIS application except if
they are from GRASS, GDAL/OGR (or any other provider I do not check).
Native QGIS tools show only their description, when it's filled, and this
is done only in english (see http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.
The way to have a more complete decription (tool and parameters) is to look
into the Processing algorithms chapter (http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/
docs/user_manual/processing_algs/index.html) in User manual. But given that
this is a handmade update, it's far from completion, not all the tools are
available (focusing only QGIS native tools) and not all the parameters are
So, given QEP51 (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/5
1) and https://github.com/qgis/qgis3.0_api/issues/62 which made some great
improvements on linking user manual and application context help, are there
some improvements planned on processing? What I'd need to know is:
- whether algorithms documentation will be done in application repo or doc
- What would algorithms documentation look like? i.e do we keep the same
- what's the status of the external resources (I'm not sure they are kept
updated) as discussed in the qep? Do we keep their help file in
application? in doc repo? (seems there's a mix currently)
Why these questions?:
- Doc repo is full of Processing tagged issues (
9C%93&q=is%3Aissue%20is%3Aopen%20processing - not exhaustive) and we need
to know what are the plans to avoid wasting our energy
- From QGIS2.16 we have moved many C++ Core plugins (fTools, GdalTools,
Heatmap, geometry snapper, interpolation...) to Processing so description
of these plugins (http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/
docs/user_manual/plugins/plugins_index.html) must somehow be removed from
the plugins chapter in user manual (a pending PR at
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/1806 which actually made me
write this message) and reorganized in processing section. Some plugins
were briefly described while others were really detailed:
* What are the information to keep for Processing?
* In which form, given that the way their description is written doesn't
match processing algorithms doc template?
- last but not least, I recently read a thread in which someone was
looking for ways to help documenting algorithms (very precise offer but why
not, any help is welcome!!) and I fail to find a proper answer to give him
other than his help is welcome.
So, if some of you have any idea/plan on what processing algorithms
documentation is supposed to evolve to, please share your knowledge...
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Qgis-developer