[Qgis-developer] QGIS API Distance, Azimuth/Bearing - API Documentation

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 20:37:01 PDT 2017

Hi

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 11:56 PM, C Hamilton <adenaculture at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are my questions.
>
> 1. Sorry for my lack of knowledge here. I have gotten into the plugin
> development and I have been thinking that I could possibly contribute to the
> actual QGIS code, but I am not sure what you want done when you say to do a
> "pull request on the topic".

I meant to basically:
1. clone the QGIS source code repository from https://github.com/qgis/QGIS
2. build QGIS yourself - see https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/INSTALL
3. create a branch and implement your changes in the branch
4. create a pull request in QGIS repository on GitHub

> 2. geographiclib already has done the work for the more accurate geodesic
> algorithms. They use the MIT/X11 license. Is that compatible with the QGIS
> GNU2 license? It would certainly be easiest to use that code rather than
> trying to reinvent it.

It is possible that they are compatible, but I don't know - better to
research that first...

> 3. What is the best way to learn the steps necessary to contribute to the
> core QGIS project?

I think my reply above partially answers this question. Have a look also here:
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/qgisdevelopersguide/index.html

If you have further questions on how to get started, feel free to ask
here on qgis-dev list.

Regards
Martin