[QGIS-Developer] GRASS and SAGA providers in 3

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 05:03:36 PDT 2017

On 20 August 2017 at 20:54, Kurt Menke <kurt at birdseyeviewgis.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I have some Q's about these providers in 3. I know the toolbox has been
> reorganized by operation instead of provider.

That's only for "native" QGIS algorithms. External provider based
algorithms (GDAL/SAGA/GRASS/etc) will still show up under folders for
those providers, just like 2.x. It's another way to push people to try
the QGIS native algorithms by default.

(which reminds me - the current grouping is a mess of duplicate and
near identical groups... we need to clean that up before release and
have only a few logical, non overlapping categories)

> I've also noticed that GRASS
> and SAGA are no longer providers in the latest nightly release. This came up
> during preparation for the State of QGIS talk at FOSS4G with Larry, and the
> plan forward was not clear to us. Those algorithms are obviously heavily
> used by many QGIS users.

Yes - it's a work in progress still. SAGA algs are being worked on in
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5021, we need someone to step up and
port the GRASS ones. GDAL still has a few left to port (volunteers
welcome), but the QGIS ones are 97% there (I'll do the remainder of
those).

We desperately NEED more people to step up and help here. In the worst
case scenario (no-one ports grass or the remaining GDAL algs) I'll
have to resort to reverting all the c++ processing improvements OR
have duplicate "processingv2" plugin type approach (with only the
ported algs, and a duplicate "processing v1" 2.x style plugin).

> When enabled, will these algs be placed into the appropriate operation
> folder in toolbox?
>
> Will they be enabled by default or will users need to enable those providers
> via Settings-->Providers?

No change here from 2.x.

Off topic - but I'd love to see your slides from OSGEO4w!

Nyall