[QGIS-Developer] Backporting crash handler into 2.18

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Mon Dec 4 08:06:54 PST 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:00 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
 wrote:

> On 04-12-17 01:01, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Just wanted to see how everyone would feel if I was thinking about
> > backporting the crash handler we have in QGIS 3 back into 2.18.

+ 1 from me.

> I think it is a good idea...
>
> As you say, 2.18 will be here for some time (especially for educational
> and governmental institutions probably, all running windows).

This is certainly true and a clear justification for the backport. Those
enterprises may keep using QGIS 2.18, possibly up to a year from now (with
respect to next LTR release and adoption), or longer. Horrifying to
consider, but at least this crash handler will help.

> Indeed then people can at least report back something (as I think our
> normal stacktrace-sources: Linux devs, will probably move on to 3.x).
>
> While it looks like if we want to say that QGIS ever crashes on Windows,
> maybe name it Windows or Data Crash Handler  ;-) ....
>
> Needs to be tested thoroughly though, as it is a new 'feature' in LTR...
> Is it testable?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota
Boundless Desktop and QGIS Support/Development
Boundless Spatial - http://boundlessgeo.com
lshaffer at boundlessgeo.com