[QGIS-Developer] Backporting crash handler into 2.18

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 11:34:47 PST 2017

I currently use 2.18 to work around some bugs in 3.0, and it is possible
even with the difference in project file formats as there is enough
compatibility. Although lately the CRS translation has been broken when
opening a 3.0 project in 2.18 and I have been told there is no
guaranteed backwards compatibility.

Personally I would advocate for engineering a little bit of backporting
into 2.18 to allow it to recognise the CRS from the project file which
is currently challenging, as it seems to be able to recognise everything
else well enough to be able to view a map on opening the project file
and I have done this many times while running the development masters on
my live maps during the past year or so.

The main thing that is not translated is layer styles and whilst this is
a big part at the moment I can work around that well enough to not make
a big issue out of that which would probably be a much more significant
effort to backport.

As it stands, 2.18 will be maintained as the last version LTR for many
years yet until 3.2 is released and we haven't even got to 3.0 yet. In
fact I do have some doubt that the 3.0 release date is going to be met
(but of course I have no real insight into the process so it is just an
informed opinion at best)