[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3D and Globe plugin

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 18:26:34 PST 2017

On 7 December 2017 at 03:16, Borys Jurgiel <lists at borysjurgiel.pl> wrote:
> Coming back to your question, Saber... It's no pleasure to drop stuff someone
> spent a lot of time on, but yes, personally +1 for going on.

Mmmm... I'd honestly hope that we don't have that reaction when
dropping code. Every contribution shapes the future codebase, so all
the work done in globe has helped set the direction and framework for
the new 3d stuff. Code churn is natural in a project of this size, and
doesn't reflect lack of value in anyone's past contributions.

> Is anybody here using Globe at all?

I don't -- purely because the build dependencies have never been
satisfied on my OS of choice. However - I don't think removing it is
an option until we have feature parity here, and I'd be reluctant to
remove it even then before having the Qt based 3d stuff exposed to the
wider testing of being included in a stable release.

Martin - do you have a checklist of features in globe which still
require porting to QGIS 3d?

Nyall