[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3D and Globe plugin

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 02:29:44 PST 2017

Hi Nyall

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 3:26 AM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin - do you have a checklist of features in globe which still
> require porting to QGIS 3d?

There is a bunch of features not supported by QGIS 3D compared to the
globe plugin - from the top of my head:
- "globe" world view in addition to having a "local" 3D scene
- integration of a data provider for terrain data (e.g. [1])
- lights / skybox configuration
- stereo mode

Some users may consider some of the features above critical, while
others may easily live without them, depending on their use case. I
agree with Nyall we should not remove the plugin until we get close to
feature parity (but not necessarily 100% parity). Since the globe
plugin is not a part of the public API, I think currently we do not
need to push towards its removal for 3.0 (unless we wanted to get rid
of the dependencies it adds).

I would like to start a crowd-funding sometime soon to further improve
QGIS 3D, so I would be also interested to hear some feedback from
others who have already played with QGIS 3D to understand what
functionality they would like to see added next and what are the
biggest shortcomings right now.

Cheers
Martin

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/public-datasets/terrain/