[QGIS-Developer] Improving usability of "Project Home" in browser?

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Wed Dec 13 17:14:29 PST 2017

When I set up a project I have a base folder (PROJECT) with subfolders
like: scripts, data, pdf, temp, qgs

Could I right click that folder and set it as HOME. Hence that becomes
the default workspace for that session.

Pro:

  * Everything references home - like geoproccessing scripts etc. I open
    up a tool/script/whatever and it starts there.

Con:

  * I might change the name of the project and something breaks
  * not everyone loves storing a project in one folder structure
  * Slow QGIS at start (?)

Randy

On 12/13/2017 07:22 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm seeking ideas on how we can improve the usefulness of the "Project
> Home" item in the browser panel.
>
> Currently, this item is shown after opening a project, and consists of
> a directory item showing the contents of the same folder in which the
> .qgs project file is stored.
>
> I really like the idea of this Project Home item, but I can't make use
> of it because at none of my current workplaces are the .qgs project
> files stored in the root directory of a project. A more common
> structure is something like:
>
> project_001\
> project_001\incoming_data\
> project_001\reports
> project_001\outgoing
> project_001\data
> project_001\projects\my_qgis_file.qgs
>
> In this case the shortcut to the .qgs folder doesn't help - because
> none of the interesting stuff is located there. I suspect this isn't
> an uncommon scenario, and that a lot of workplaces don't store .qgs
> files in the root directory of projects.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas of how we could improve the Project Home item
> to meet this scenario? Best I can come up with is to add a new setting
> (booo) in Project Properties to manually set the project home
> folder...
>
> (Note - In an ideal world, ALL file open/save dialogs would have a
> shortcut to this project home folder available too. It's possible in
> Windows (see e.g.
> http://www.pbjzone.com/images/VS2010_open_dialog.png) - but not
> exposed via Qt (yet) )
>
> Nyall