[QGIS-Developer] Support to loading GIS projects from an extended OWC geopackage in the QGIS core

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sat Dec 16 14:11:44 PST 2017

Hi

> On 15 Dec 2017, at 15:26, Régis Haubourg <regis.haubourg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> some years ago, we discussed of a new project file format able to store data and other ressources has been discussed.
>
> We finally had the opportunity to make one step forward when working on the auxiliary data storage stuff.
>
> What's the current status in QGIS 3:
>
> - we now have an optional format ".qgz" that is a zipped file
> - the auxiliary data storage is a sqlite database ".qgd" storing additional informations joined to classical layers (for manual labeling purposes for instance). It is NOT a spatialite database that could be the container for spatial data
> - when zip fil format is chosen, the qgd file is stored inside the qgz.
>
> So, the path is opened to modify the offline editing tools or other equivalent features to store their local datasource (either gpkg or sqlite) inside the qgz too.
>
> We also now have a container for storing SVG, color ramps, pictures or any additionnal ressource that should be shipped within the project.
>
> Now my opinion on the proposal about storing all inside a GPKG:
>
> - I think we should first have a native "packaging" format using native qgs file, to adress what offline editing, Qconsolidate, or QFieldSync use cases requires.
> - The "interoperability" use case should be adressed only as an option, not a default solution, since SLD conversion (and things that don't stick to standards) will alter the project.
>
> I am in favor of discussing all that after QGIS3 is out so that we keep focused on that,  and then discuss that at the Madeyra hackfest. I'd be pleased to animate a workgroup to reach common agreement, guidelines, and find a plan for that.

Thanks for laying everything out so clearly Régis! One other thing I wondered about ancillary data is the ability to store images or other external resources linked to a layer - there was some discussion about how to manage this in Nødebo too….

Regards

Tim

> [...]
> >      - ,
> >     which is standards-based; in this  approach
> >     <https://www.geocat.net/announcing-the-extended-geopackage-qgis-plugin/ <https://www.geocat.net/announcing-the-extended-geopackage-qgis-plugin/>
> >     <https://www.geocat.net/announcing-the-extended-geopackage-qgis-plugin/ <https://www.geocat.net/announcing-the-extended-geopackage-qgis-plugin/>>>
> >     ,
> >     the style is encoded as OGC:SLD and the project as OGC:OWS context.
> >     The goal
> >     of this approach is to support the migration of GIS projects, as we can
> >     implement this extension in any desktop or server side GIS (e.g.: ArcGIS
> >     Desktop).
> >
> >     The fork was merged in August this year, and the latest release of the
> >     plugin <https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/QgisGeopackage/ <https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/QgisGeopackage/>
> >     <https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/QgisGeopackage/ <https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/QgisGeopackage/>>>   already contains
> >     both extensions, covering both use cases of porting QGIS projects and
> >     migrating GIS projects. Recently, it was added  support in the core
> >     to the
> >     "qgis geopackage extension"
> >     <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/providers/ogr/qgsogrprovider.cpp#L762 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/providers/ogr/qgsogrprovider.cpp#L762>
> >     <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/providers/ogr/qgsogrprovider.cpp#L762 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/providers/ogr/qgsogrprovider.cpp#L762>>>
> >     , in the qgsogrprovider class. This means that if a user loads a
> >     geopackage
> >     which was encoded using the "qgis geopackage extension", it will
> >     automatically load the QGIS project from it. We think that it makes
> >     sense to
> >     also add the  "ows geopackage extension" to the core; in that case,
> >     users
> >     could load projects exported from other GIS software seamlessly, without
> >     having to load the plugin. The mechanism would be very similar to
> >     what was
> >     already implemented for the  "qgis geopackage extension".
> >
> >     Before preparing any Pull Request, we would like to understand first
> >     what is
> >     the general feeling of the community about this feature; is this
> >     something
> >     which seems useful and interesting to add to the QGIS core? If yes,
> >     we would
> >     also appreciate any comments regarding any details the implementation.
> >
> >     Looking forward to hearing your feedback :-)
>
> Yes, please! I think there was an issue about not being able to load an

—

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Project chair: QGIS.org