[Qgis-developer] Installers for QGIS3

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Feb 1 10:56:43 PST 2017

Hi Paolo,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> could please someone shortly update us on the current and near future
> situation for the availability of packages for master on mayor operating
> systems (deb, win, osx)? I think it would be of general interest, as it
> would make it easier to solicit some early testing.

For macOS, there is the *qgis3-dev* Homebrew formula in this repo (thanks
to everyone who helped and continues to help with that effort, including my
employer, Boundless, who funded quite a bit of my contribution):
https://github.com/qgis/homebrew-qgisdev

It also includes a tutorial for doing development builds as well:
https://github.com/qgis/homebrew-qgisdev/blob/master/development/README.md

There is currently a problem with compilation against Qt 5.8.0, but I'm
working on it.

For general testing by Homebrew users, automating the binary output of the
built formula would allow them to install from pre-built packages, instead
of building from source. This would require Travis build times to be
extended for that repo or some small Homebrew setup inside of QGIS source
tree.

It would be good to continue work on extending that Homebrew install
process with an optional full bundling of a QGIS.app (optionally with major
Processing deps included). Then, an easy to use standalone QGIS3.app beta
for macOS can be generated.

If full bundling was produced, then the QGIS project could offer its own
macOS releases, code-signed with the OSGeo certificates. It was mentioned
that such a revamping of the macOS bundling routines might be a reasonable
grant proposal to the project.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota

Boundless Desktop and QGIS Support/Development
Boundless Spatial
lshaffer at boundlessgeo.com