[Qgis-developer] XYZ layers are not a type of WMS

Tom Chadwin tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk
Tue Feb 7 02:54:08 PST 2017

I don't know what others think, but I think incorporating the new XYZ tile
layers support in the GUI by using WMS as a "parent" layer type is
incorrect:

1. they are a different kind of layer (and I presume not an OGC standard)
2. it hides the support for XYZ layers in QGIS from the user

What do others think? Either they should be moved out from "under" WMS, or
WMS needs to be renamed to something more generic.

Certainly the API shouldn't detect an XYZ layer as a WMS.

Thanks

Tom

-----
Buy Pie Spy: Adventures in British pastry 2010-11 on Amazon