[Qgis-developer] XYZ layers are not a type of WMS

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 02:37:36 PST 2017

Hi Tom

coming back to your mail...

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Tom Chadwin <tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk> wrote:
> I don't know what others think, but I think incorporating the new XYZ tile
> layers support in the GUI by using WMS as a "parent" layer type is
> incorrect:
>
> 1. they are a different kind of layer (and I presume not an OGC standard)
> 2. it hides the support for XYZ layers in QGIS from the user
>
> What do others think? Either they should be moved out from "under" WMS, or
> WMS needs to be renamed to something more generic.

The "wms" provider name indeed may be a bit misleading - it also
supports WMTS and WMS-C in addition to WMS and XYZ. At the same time I
do not see it as a big problem if it is documented how to use it with
other protocols. If we wanted to switch to a more generic name for it,
we should probably also harmonize the input URIs that historically
expected just WMS GetCapabilities URL and only later extended to
support other protocols...

Cheers
Martin