[Qgis-developer] 3.0 Documentation and branching

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 01:27:12 PST 2017

Hi Richard,

The hipotetical extra 2.X LTR release was the piece that I was missing.
Thanks for reminding me of that.

So, maybe I started the wrong discussion and I should be asking if we
really are going to release another LTR in 2.x branch instead.

Since there is no active development in the 2.x branch, except for bug
fixes, maybe we can assume that the feature set would be the same as 2.18?

Back to my original concern: what do we do with documentation PRs aimed at
new features in the 3.X branch?

Moreover, with the new context help mechanism (thanks Richard and Alex Bruy
for that), If the developer wants to add a help button pointing to
documentation, he/we must be able to create new sections or at least put
some placeholders for it. Otherwise we won't be able to change that after
QGIS release (releasing documentation at the same time as QGIS IMHO is
still an utopia)

I know that we are in a exceptional situation because of 3.x release date
indefinition, but I think we should allow to document the master branch at
the same time it is coded. I just don't know how can we do it.

Also let me say that I share Harrissou opinion (from another thread) that
it's a pity that documentation is often forgot in the project's plans. With
all the changes happening in 3.0 we will be in deep trouble to have a good
3.2 documentation ready.

Thanks

Alexandre

A qui, 9/02/2017, 07:36, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
escreveu:

On 08-02-17 12:42, Alexandre Neto wrote:
> My concerns are about this part:
>
> /"Then, afaict, a part of this commit is more about QGIS 3 changes and I
> am not sure we are currently documenting QGIS3 stuffs (still waiting for
> comments and decision in this thread
> <https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2017-January/005060.html>)."
>
> /
> So, with my email, I just wanted to go back to the discussion of what
> versions we are planning/want to release and have a decision. Also, make
> sure that whatever the decision on that, we have a solution that does
> not put a developer's (or anyone else) PR on hold (not merged) if they
> want to contribute documentation for the current is master version.
> Mainly because people's availability and motivation can be affected by
that.

Hi Alexandre,

the main reason holding back 3.0 descriptions from master is to be able
to release a (nowadays pretty theoretical?) new LTR in 2.x branch.

This in case that waiting for a stable 3.x (plus a reasonable set of
working python plugins!) would take too long, and the community would
decide or ask for another 2.x release to be able to do their daily work
with QGIS.

IF we are more or less sure that there will NO MORE 2.x QGIS (LTR's?)
anymore, we can decide to lift this clear 2.x - 3.x separation (thanks
Harrissou for defending this :-) ).

So the main question is: do we decide to NOT release a newer
documentation(!) 2.x branch anymore this year.

Regards,

Richard

--
Alexandre Neto