[Qgis-developer] Improving QGIS integration in cartographic workfows

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 00:53:09 PST 2017

Hi Nyall (and all the others).
I don't think SVG is the right way to go. Even if it is a great standard,
It's implementations vary too mich from sw to sw and it doesn't meant for
print productions. It's ok to exchange graphics but not to exhange document
models.

You raised the foundamental problem: the Qt PDF support lacks important
features, first of all CMYK. I don't know what Scribus uses for the output
(it will be interesting do have a look), OpenOrienteering has temporary
circumvented the problems forking and improving the QT PDF Printer [1] to
support CMYK exports.

@Even, I know that GDAL has a better backend for PDF export but I fear that
translating the QGIS rendering outputs (vectorials, texts, images) to a
different library would be a huge effort, don't you think?
And yes, obviously we can slice compositions in multiple objects and export
single PDF layers but it's very far from a production workflow! :)

I hope to see this topic grow, because I feel it's critical to QGIS
adoption and quality.

Giovanni

[1]
https://github.com/OpenOrienteering/mapper/commit/df73eb75499261dc6978556f960b228bf809e728