[Qgis-developer] Improving QGIS integration in cartographic workfows

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Feb 17 01:38:15 PST 2017

> @Even, I know that GDAL has a better backend for PDF export but I fear that
> translating the QGIS rendering outputs (vectorials, texts, images) to a
> different library would be a huge effort, don't you think?

Yes, and I wouldn't certainly recommand doing that. The GDAL PDF styling capabilities are
very limited. My point was rather to use the QT rendering backend to produce one PDF per
QGIS layer, and then have some code that creates a single layered PDF from those multiple
ones. Like when you concatenate several PDF into a multi page one with the 'convert' or
'pdfunite' utilities. Except that I think creating a layered PDF would be a bit more tricky.

> And yes, obviously we can slice compositions in multiple objects and export
> single PDF layers but it's very far from a production workflow! :)

That could potentially be completely automated and invisible to the user.

That said, improving the QT PDF capabilities to have native layering capabilities is probably
cleaner / easier. My above proposal is more as a fallback solution in case a cleaner approach
wouldn't be practical.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com