[Qgis-developer] QGIS3 theme?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Feb 27 12:29:45 PST 2017

Hi

I would also like to see a nice cohesive theme designed. I have seen in the
past that you referenced LibreOffice as an example we could follow. IMHO
their theme is really bad - from both as aesthetic point of view and from a
functional point of view:

https://www.libreoffice.org/assets/Uploads/Discover/LO52-Screenshots/lo52-writer-02.png

The icons are overladen with many small details and too many discordant
colours. When I was in Singapore a year or two back, I met up with Ganesh
Shanmugam, a local QGIS service provider there. Ganesh had built a
customised version of QGIS for use in schools and showed it off to me. One
thing I really like is the way they used the same accent colour per
toolbar. For example all File icons would get e.g. a red accent, all layer
green, and so on. It makes it really easy to:

a) find a toolbar even when on a strange computer where things are arranged
differently and
b) give someone instructions : "click on the third icon from the left in
the red tinted toolbar"

In Gandesh's implementation, they actually coloured the toolbar background,
but I think it would also be nice if we rather used the accent colour (so
two-tone instead of monochrome) in the icons. Ganesh maybe you could share
a link to a screenie?

Anyway just my 2c to the debate.

Regards

Tim

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 8:19 PM, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is really great news!
> Having a cohérent UI look will be a huge step forward.
> Looking forward to seeing the proposal.

Tim Sutton
 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development