[Qgis-developer] QGIS3 theme?

John Hawkinson jhawk at mit.edu
Mon Feb 27 21:44:24 PST 2017

I'd like to throw up a note of caution:

Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote on Mon, 27 Feb 2017
at 11:28:05 +0100 in <bc885aa6-8fc5-74b8-cd42-81c449c0a7cb at faunalia.it>:

> the first reactions from people testing QGIS 3 include a slight
> disappointment from seeing no obvious change in the interface.
> Maybe adding a new default theme, with different colours etc., would
> help people appreciating the many hidden changes.
> I know it's cosmetic, but IMHO it would be a good marketing approach.
> Opinions?

As a user, subtle changes to an user interface I am famiilar with
for no good reason and just for the sake of change are *incredibly
frustrating*.

An interface I was used to using is gone, and I have to learn something new.

If there is a real value-add in the interface, OK. (But even then,
it can be frustrating to learn. Acceptable, but still frustrating.)
One extreme way to put it is: I would rather the bad interface that I know
rather than a marginally better interface that I don't know. It has to
be really good to be worth the pain.

I guess we're mostly talking about color changes, rather than moving
around tools and redesigning critical UI elements, so some of these
concerns are less strong. But I think they're still concerns?

So I guess I would be more comfortable if the discussion acknowledged
these tradeoffs.

--jhawk at mit.edu
  John Hawkinson