[Qgis-developer] Dropping the "render" checkbox

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 23:47:34 PST 2017

Hi,

I'm a big -1 on this.

We often use this for digitizing operations such as manual label placement.

If you have a projects which takes quite some time to render, it is very
powerful to
1. place the canvas at the proper extent
2. disable rendering
3. move all the labels needed
4. re-enable rendering for controlling

In our project, I roughly estimate that using this methodology makes the
operation 2 to 3 times faster.

Although I agree the status bar is a bit overloaded.
I would propose to:
*  remove the text and go for a checkable button
* maybe rephrase "render" to "freeze canvas", so you would need to activate
the button to stop rendering.

Sorry for that devs ;)

Denis